Whereas Athena represented the valour and nobility of war, Ares embodied all that was base, gruesome, and untamed in armed conflicts. He was love by few, even among his fellow Olympians. In the Iliad, Zeus named him the most hateful of the gods, and soldiers on both sides trembled at his wrath. He rode a chariot pulled by four horses and was accompanied by an infernal retinue that included his sons, Deimos and Phobos, symbolising dread and fear, as well as Eris, goddess of strife and Keres, the spirit death.
According to Homer, despite being barred from direct intervention in the Trojan War by the king of Olympus, Ares joined the fray outside the walls of Troy. He laid waste to the Achaean host until Athena intervened, guiding Diomedes' spear to wound the spiteful deity, forcing him to retreat from the battlefield.₋₋₋[sic]
Cult of Ares
The following bonuses take effect depending on the level of the cult of Ares.
- Eager to Fight (Respected)
- +1 to local recruitment capacity (factionwide)
- +20% to morale of sword and axe units (own armies factionwide)
- Delight for Violence (Celebrated)
- +20% to income from raiding, looting, and sacking (own armies factionwide)
- +1 to happiness per war, up to 5 (factionwide)
- +20% to attack of melee attack of sword and axe units (own armies factionwide)
- Panic and Terror (Worshipped)
- +10 charge to all units (own armies factionwide)
- All Heroes frighten enemy units in battle
- Unlocks recruitment of Spartoi
Gods of Olympus