Total War is a series of computer strategy games develped by The Creative Assembly. The game series is a combination of turn-based strategy also including real-time tactical control of battles. Currently, the Total War series are all featured before the 20th century, featuring technologies such as crossbows to steam engines.
- Shogun: Total War is set in feudal Japan. The expansion pack, called Mongol Invasion, was released with the original in the Warlord Edition. It is different from the more familiar Western settings of the other Total War games. In the single player game, the role-playing done by the clans and players of Shogun was unrivaled by any other games in the series, and included interactive videos that represented possible decisions by the player, such as converting to Christianity. The original Shogun was not quite a mainstream product, but attracted a dedicated fan base.
- Medieval: Total War is set in medieval Europe. The expansion pack is Viking Invasion, and the combined edition is called the Battle Collection. In the multiplayer world, Viking Invasion can be considered the most balanced and complete version of Total War throughout the whole series. Shogun was faster and arguably more taxing on the individual playing skill, while MTW/VI added new exciting elements to online battles.
- Rome: Total War is set in the Roman Republic. The first expansion pack, Barbarian Invasion, was released on 27 September 2005. Rome: Total War Gold Edition, which combined the fully patched versions of the original game and its first expansion into one DVD (instead of the original game's three CD-ROMs) was released on 14 February 2006, though a CD-ROM version (a total of four CDs) was also produced for those without DVD drives. A second expansion pack, Rome: Total War: Alexander, was announced on 10 May 2006. It was released on 19 June 2006 as a download and afterward as retail. A compilation of the original game and the two expansions, Rome: Total War Anthology was released on 16 March 2007.
- Medieval II: Total War a sequel to Medieval: Total War, was released on 10 November in Europe and on 14 November in North America. This game includes much more detailed characters and features the Age of Discovery (and colonization of the Americas) and the Mongol and Timurid invasions. An expansion pack, Medieval II: Total War: Kingdoms was announced on 30 March 2007.It was released on 28 August 2007. The Gold Edition of the game was released on 1 February 2008.
- Empire: Total War, was announced on 22 August 2007 by Sega. It had been secretly in development since the release of Barbarian Invasion. It is set in the 18th century to early 19th century, and includes features such as the Industrial Revolution and America's struggle for independence. For the first time in a Total War game, players will have the ability to play real-time 3D naval battles. Empire: Total War was released on March 3 in North America and 4 in Europe 2009. The expansion pack, Empire Total War: The Warpath Campaign was released in October, 2009 on Steam as downloadable content.
- Napoleon: Total War is the sequel to Empire: Total War. The game is a stand-alone version and not an expansion pack of Empire: Total War. The game is mainly focused on the military career of Napoleon Bonaparte though you can also play as Napoleon's opposition. Much like its predecessors, it is an RTS/turn based stratergy. The game is based on the Empire: Total War engine.
- Total War: Shogun 2 is a sequel to Shogun: Total War. It is set during 19th century feudal Japan, in the aftermath of the Onin War.
- Total War: Rome II is a sequel to Rome: Total War.
- Total War: Attila is a stand-alone game, which can be considered a spiritual successor to Barbarian Invasion.
- Total War: Arena is a multiplayer online free-to-play game, which has the same setting as Total War: Rome II.
- Total War: Warhammer is the first non-historical game in the series. It is set in the fantasy World of Warhammer.
- Total War: Warhammer II is a sequel to Total War: Warhammer.
- Total War: Three Kingdoms was announced on January 10, 2018.
- The Art of Total War is a limited-edition art book.
|The Total War series|
|Shogun (The Mongol Invasion) • Medieval (Viking Invasion) • Rome (Barbarian Invasion • Alexander) • Spartan • Medieval II (Kingdoms) • Empire • Napoleon • Total War: Shogun 2 • Total War: Rome II • Total War: Attila • Total War: Warhammer • Total War: Arena • Total War: Warhammer II • Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia • Total War: Three Kingdoms|